The ‘Waterfall Sanatorium’ opened in April 1909 as New South Wales’ first purpose-built Hospital for Consumptives, in an elevated site chosen for its quietness and isolation from the general community.
Consumption, now referred to as tuberculosis or TB, is a highly contagious disease with few options for treatment. The first patients were 230 males transferred from the overcrowded Liverpool Asylum, and in 1914, an accommodation building for 120 women was added.
The hospital was self-sufficient with a vegetable garden, orchard and pig and poultry farm. In 1914, it became the Waterfall State...Read More