Cart 0

Terminus Hotel

Originally known as the Coopers Arms Inn, the building was partially constructed circa 1865.

In 1911 the main bar was built when ownership was transferred to Tooth & Co. It was at this time the establishment was renamed as Terminus Hotel, borrowing its name from the tram which used to run the length of Harris Street, terminating on John Street right outside the hotel.

Various alterations were carried out at the Terminus Hotel during the 1960s and 1970s which would have resulted in the final appearance you still see today.

This was a typical blue-collar establishment for the time it was in operation. Workers from the local quarries, wharves sugar mill and the Pyrmont power station made up the majority of patronage to the hotel for lunch breaks or a cheeky beer or scotch on the way home from work.

The main bar was men only with ladies only permitted in the female parlour. Times have come a long way since the early 1900s.

The main bar was often full of cigarette smoke which would frequently stain the pressed metal roof, requiring frequent repainting.

In 1984, the hotel was privately sold and since then, has not traded for the last 32 years, only seeing slivers of light through the boarded up and corrugated iron covered windows.

The heritage listed building in its current form is pretty unmistakable. It’s hard not to be captivated its leafy green exterior when passing, with the entire north face of the upper facade completely covered by ivy. It actually looks so incredible that you could be forgiven for believing that the feature is intentional.

Hand-painted advertisements remain on the lower facade, and the beer garden has been transformed into something that more closely resembles a rainforest.

The interior of the time capsule is equally as impressive as its exterior.

Downstairs is the original bar which has been gathering dust over the last three decades and the building features with pressed metal ceilings throughout the hotel.

The peeling paint walls meet with original glazed tiles, rarely seen in any other establishments in modern day Australia.

Moving up the original hardwood staircase leads to the upstairs guest rooms, each featuring their own disparate combinations of carpet, wallpaper, furniture and fixtures.

Over the years vandals and squatters have removed items from the property left their mark in the form of graffiti.

The property sold in April 2016 and is set to undergo a restoration by its new owner.